I truly hate fruit flies and having to deal with them is the worst part of having a lot of fruit around the house – particularly this time of the year when I am dealing with a lot of peaches and tomatoes. But I’ve found a great solution – a homemade fruit fly trap. It works amazingly well.
1. Find a large glass jar, preferably with a wide mouth. I use a quart canning jar, but an empty mayonnaise jar would work great.
2. Stretch some plastic cling wrap over the opening of the jar.
3. Secure the plastic with a bottle ring or an elastic band.
4. Pour in a little apple cider vinegar.
5. Add a few drops of dish washing liquid. The soap breaks the surface of the cider vinegar and makes it harder for the fruit flies to get away.
6. Poke some holes in the plastic wrap. I used a little knife to do this. The holes allow the fruit flies to get into the trap, but they can’t find their way out again. Instead, they crawl down the side of the bottle and drown in the apple cider.
7. Place the trap close to the fruit or the spot in the kitchen that the fruit flies are hovering. I’ve placed my trap in the box with the peaches. Normally, I have a terrible time with fruit flies when I have fruit in a box, but the trap has completely solved the problem.
Don’t you love it when there is an inexpensive, homemade solution for a problem like this? I do!